Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hudson, Hathaway talk marriage

Hudson, Hathaway talk marriage






Kate Hudson, left, and Anne Hathaway, right, star in "Bride Wars."

LOS ANGELES -- Unlike the bridezillas they play in their new comedy, Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway say they've never obsessed over having a dream wedding.

Fact is, they're not entirely sold on the idea of marriage to begin with.

"I don't feel any pressure to get married," Hathaway tells journalists at a Beverly Hills hotel. "I don't feel it from my family or friends or feel it from within."

It's a sentiment Hudson shares, despite having already been wed once. She split from her rocker Chris Robinson in 2006 after six years.

"I come from one parent who ended up not marrying my other parent," she says, referring to mom Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. "It's a complicated household. It's a little unconventional how I see things. And I got married. It was great. It was a blast. Everyone should do it."

Does that mean she would do it again? "Possibly. If it's right, I think it's important. I don't know who the guy would be, so it would depend on what kind of relationship it is."


Opening Friday, Bride Wars stars Hathaway and Hudson as lifelong friends who wind up feuding when a scheduling snafu books both their weddings on the same date.

Hudson, who is also one of the producers, admits the filmmakers struggled to make sure their comedy wasn't just fueling negative stereotypes of so-called bridezillas.

"In developing this, the funny thing was when it was pitched, I thought, 'I can't believe this movie hasn't been made yet.' Then the more I thought about it, I realized why it hadn't been made. It's so easy to pit women against each other and get carried away all the cattiness and stereotypes of how women handle a lot of situations.

"For me, I looked at it as a challenge because it's such a great thing for women to be able to make fun of themselves because we can be guilty of going a little crazy sometimes and getting stressed out ... I felt there was a way to make a movie that's appealing to all ages of women that doesn't leave anyone out. It's about friendship and honouring your friends, and the importance of having those people in your life. None of it matters if you don't have your girls."

Says Hathaway, "When I got the script, that was what I was expecting and I was really sensitive to that ... Kate and I are both strong women. We could never do anything that would set women back."

Maybe so but, adds Hudson, "Women can hit you where it hurts. Men go right for the shins, whereas women can be more hurtful because we're more emotional."

For Hathaway, Bride Wars comes on the heels of her acclaimed performance in the dramatic Rachel Getting Married, as well as her turn in the male-centric summer hit Get Smart.

"I'm not a girly-girl in the slightest. I found my best girlfriends later on in life. Growing up, I was friends with my brother's friends. So for me to be around women all the time and give in to the shoe love, it was great to realize I can be myself, but still feel girly."

Off-screen, both actresses have gone through highly publicized breakups. Hathaway ditched her longtime boyfriend after he was charged with defrauding investors, while Hudson's paramours have included Owen Wilson and Lance Armstrong. Yet they say these experiences haven't soured them on marriage.

"I would never be cynical about people wanting that day," Hudson says. "I think there's a reason for it. It's your day to present yourself to your man and bring everyone together and throw this party. I think the emphasis on marriage will always be important, whether it's just you and your man getting hitched on top of Himalayas or having a 300-person wedding."

As for the kind of man she's attracted to, Hudson adds, "I like honest guys. That always gets me going. I like guys who are upfront and are who they are. They're hard to find."

Adds Hathaway, "Yes, they are."

No comments:

Post a Comment